Subject: grasshopper?
Location: Tansen, Palpa district, Nepal
I am new to this site and would like help with the little guy that I met this week (Sept 13 2012) sitting on the railing in our hospital.
Signature: Theo

Coffee Locust

Dear Theo,
This is sure an attractive Grasshopper, one of the members of the family Pyrgomorphidae, commonly called the Toxic Milkweed Grasshoppers because many members of the family feed on milkweed, storing the toxic compounds from the plants in their own bodies as a defense mechanism.  We believe we have correctly identified your individual as a member of the genus
Aularches, perhaps Ausarches miliaris which we identified on the Siam Insect Zoo site, though it is the subspecies A. m. scabiosus.  Though your individual looks very similar, including the yellow banded face, there are differences, though we cannot say for certain if these are individual differences, local variations, subspecies differences or if they are in fact different species in the same genus.  The Western Ghats website calls Ausarches miliaris the Coffee Locust.

Coffee Locust

Location: Nepal

One Response to Milkweed Grasshopper: Coffee Locust from Nepal

1. Brett Thomsen says:

My friend found one nearly identical but with a different color combination to this Coffee Locust, his has a bright orange/red band across the face. Also in Nepal.