Subject: Rare, Pink Spotted Flower Moth, (Erythroecia Suavis) 9-12-12
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hello! Today is my 18th birthday, & I came across a strikingly beautiful moth, with the colors of pink & yellow. I came to call it my birthday moth, cause of its unique color. I took many photos of this moth, & searched the internet for quite some time, until I finally came across a picture, which lead me to this site. I then heard they are usually never found alive, so I managed to take a video. The most odd thing is I hear they live in North-Dakota. I live in Albuquerque, NM. I will put a link to the video below. Thank you for your time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFPZdLM15H0&list=UUbtSjAR3L0-a7eitpdnzMrQ&index=1&feature=plcp
Signature: Shaynen Brewster

Pink Spotted Flower Moth

Happy Birthday Shaynen,
Since our 2008 posting of the Pink Spotted Flower Moth, there have been changes and additions on the internet.  BugGuide now has several photos posted and the scientific name has been changed from
Erythroecia suavis to Psectrotarsia suavis.  There is also a map on the Moth Photographers Group website that places your New Mexico sighting well within the range that is reported for the Pink Spotted Flower Moth.

Location: New Mexico

2 Responses to Pink Spotted Flower Moth

1. AChappell says:

Are you sure this isn’t a Rosy Maple Moth? We get tons of them here in North Carolina, they look very similar