Subject: help me identify this fly
Location: Baie-Comeau,Quebec,Canada
I found this fly in front of my house.I live in Quebec,Canada.In a small town called Baie-Comeau.I’ve never seen such fly arround here and no one I know either…It was half inches long and about same wide with the wings.
wSignature: Pierre Murray

Tachinid Fly

Hi Pierre,
This distinctive fly is a Tachinid Fly, and we believe the species is
Hystricia abrupta based on images posted to BugGuide.  The range is also consistent with your sighting.  Tachinid Flies are important parasites that prey upon a variety of insects and arthropods.  According to BugGuide:  “Larval stages are parasitoids of other arthropods; hosts include members of 11 insect orders, centipedes, spiders, and scorpions. Some tachinids are very host-specific, others parasitize a wide variety of hosts. The most common hosts are caterpillars. Most tachinids deposit their eggs directly on the body of their host, and it is not uncommon to see caterpillars with several tachinid eggs on them. Upon hatching the larva usually burrows into its host and feeds internally. Full-grown larva leaves the host and pupates nearby. Some tachinids lay their eggs on foliage; the larvae are flattened and are called planidia; they remain on the foliage until they find a suitable host.”

Location: Canada

7 Responses to Tachinid Fly

1. Gail Thomsen says:

We just found one in our back yard. We liv in central Alberta and never seen this before. Do they sting or bite? Very allergic to bug bites.

2. Émilie says:

Just found one in my house in Québec, Canada.

3. Carolyn Danielson says:

I was just bit or stung by one of these flies. We were driving with our windows down in Oregon and it must have gotten caught in my shirt. I leaned back and it bit/ stung me 3 times before I got out out off my shit. The “bites” were like a sting from a yellow jacket. It left 3 painful welts on my back. I identified it easily as the bee-like tachinid fly….small, rust-colored fuzz with black wings. I’m sure he was defending himself, but they are really big welts for such a tiny fuzz-ball of a fly!

4. Lynne says:

I just seen one of these bee like tachinid fly’s where i work . it scared me it looks prehistoric. I have to work in the room where i saw it . i don’t want to get stung while im working. Is this bee/ fly aggressive? Or will it leave you alone?

Bee Flies neither sting nor bite.

• Shawn says:

I have been bitten by this type of fly many times while doing construction work in Florida in late summer. It is indeed painful at first then itches like a fresh mosquito bite for weeks on end afterword. And unless you are quick enough to kill it. It will continue to pursue to bite again.