Subject: Zebra Stripped Bug
Location: Pacific Northwest, Port Angeles, WA
September 8, 2012 10:36 am
I found this beautiful guy resting on a shovel handle in my yard. He caught my eye as I walked by, due to his size and color. He seemed to be very docile as we moved the shovel around to get a good shot. Nothing seemed to disturb him much. The only movement, a little twitching of his long feelers, which went from completely horizontal to a little arched (as shown in photos). You will be able to determine the size of my friend, while in one of the photos I am holding a quarter next to him. Thanks for what help you can give me.
Signature: Susan

Banded Alder Borer

Dear Susan,
Because of its beautiful shape, elegant antennae and bold, achromatic markings, our editorial staff finds the Banded Alder Borer,
Roslalia funebris, to be the most beautiful North American Beetle.  Your photo really does it justice.  The Banded Alder Borer is a western species and in California it is also called the California Laurel Borer.

Location: Washington