Subject: Beetle in the grass with Chinch bugs – fend or foe to the lawn?
Location: costal Sothern California (San Diego)
September 4, 2012 2:50 am
I know we have a Chinch Bug problem in the grass ; but I also have lots of these in the same areas of the Chinch bugs. They look close to Cosmopepla lintneriana – Twice-stabbed Stink Bug, but not quite. Or maybe some kind of small Ladybird?
They are varying sizes, but very small. This is a close-up of one of the larger ones I placed on my arm.
Location is costal Sothern California. Season is late summer (1st week of September) Are these fend or foe to the lawn?
Signature: Steve R

Subject: African Painted Bugs – costal Sothern California
Location: costal Sothern California
After a long search, I just figured out that the images I sent in were African Painted Bug nymphs and are a foe to the lawn and all my other garden plants.
Signature: Steve R

Immature African Painted Bug

Dear Steve,
We are pleased to hear that you were able to self identify this immature African Painted Bug,
Bagrada hilaris, a small Stink Bug that was recently introduced to Southern California and is quickly spreading.  They are usually associated with plants in the cabbage family including wild mustard that grows in southern California fields.