Ed. Note:  The first of September caught up on us and we never selected a Bug of the Month.  We have been especially interested in posting photos of Tiger Swallowtails of late, and there have been many good submissions, so we decided to take this recent posting and upgrade it to the Bug of the Month.

Subject: Butterfly Bush Visitors
Location: Western North Carolina
It’s been sunny, hot and dry here in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina. I’ve noticed some of the visitors to my butterfly bushes only appear when the sun is shining while others are there every day. Some are becoming ragged and torn but it doesn’t seem to slow them down. I also have a stinging kind of visitor I’ve never seen before this summer. Here are a few pics taken today.
Signature: Diz

Tiger Swallowtail

Hi Diz,
Thanks for sending all your butterfly and bee photos.  We are just posting two images of Tiger Swallowtails and we are especially pleased with the image showing two individuals, including one dark form female, though she is quite tattered.  Your photos are surely an advertisement for the butterfly bush or
Buddleia for anyone who wants to attract butterflies to the garden.

Dark and Light Tiger Swallowtails

Location: North Carolina