Subject: what is ’he’ or ’she’ called?
Location: staunton, va
August 31, 2012 7:03 am
I see these somewhat frequently late in the summer…they have amazing webs!!
What are these guys called? I have heard them called a hay spider.
(btw…I AM one of those folks that are ’terrified’ of spiders~but I do appreciate what they do!)
If I can figure out how to get the whole web this guy has made I will–the whole thing is taller than me–and Im 5’7”
Signature: mj

Hay Spider

Dear mj,
The surest name for your beautiful female orbweaver is
Argiope aurantia, but she has many common names including Golden Orbweaver,Writing Spider, Black and Yellow Argiope and Yellow Garden Spider.  Hay Spider is new to us, but we like it.

Hay Spider, flip side


Location: Virginia

2 Responses to Golden Orbweaver

  1. Cinnamon says:

    I’ve only known them as hay spiders all my like (Oklahoma).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.