Subject: Brown/black beetle with yellow/gold markings
Location: Pennsylvania
Took this picture in mid August in Pennsylvania near the Delaware River. (Beach Lake) I was struck by how the markings were so precisely ”drawn.” To my eye they appeared gold, though in the picture they seem more yellow.
I’ve spent a good bit of time looking at images online and while it seems similar to a number of long horned borer beetles, the segmentation of its body seems different, and I’ve not seen one marked with this pattern.
I’m sorry there is nothing in the pic that serves to reference its size, but I believe the body was approximately 1.5 inches long.
I would love to know what it might be. Many thanks.
Signature: Laura

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Dear Laura,
This Longhorned Borer Beetle (congratulations on getting the family correct) does not have a common name.  In our opinion, it is
Neoclytus scutellaris, based on photos posted to BugGuide which states:  “Larvae feed in sapwood of (dead?) oaks, hickories, also grape.”

Location: Pennsylvania