Subject: Metalic green bug
Location: Southern Illinois and Eastern Kentucky
I find the bug world very facinating. But now I find myself with an ever growing collection of unidentified bugs. I ”shop” around your site, but sometimes I don’t even know where to start. I am not sure if this one is a beetle, or another kind of bug. It was located in Southern Illinois in the late spring. I have seen the same bugs in our area of Eastern Kentucky. It is about 1/2 inch long and can fly. They are very fast and hard to capture on film. I hope this picture is clear enough for an identification.
Signature: Janet Fox

Six Spotted Tiger Beetle

Hi Janet,
Originally we just sent you a quick identification as we are not able to post all the submissions we receive.  Actually, our tiny staff cannot even respond to most requests.  We really love the enthusiasm of your letter and the photo is also quite beautiful, so we are giving it a chattier response and posting it.  This is a Six Spotted Tiger Beetle.  They are fast running predators that will quickly take flight if they feel threatened. 

Location: Illinois