Subject: Tiger Swallowtail
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Just saw your plea for tiger swallowtail photos, and I just happened to snap these at Gardens of the World in Thousand Oaks this past Sunday. I tried to submit them via the form, but I am wondering if the files are too large, since it did not seem to work. Can I email them to you?
I also got some of a giant swallowtail in my yard (in Highland Park) the other day, which are posted on my blog, AlmostGrownLA.blogspot.com.
Signature: Katherine

Western Tiger Swallowtail

Hi Katherine,
Thank you so much for responding to our request to submit photos of a Western Tiger Swallowtail.  They are positively gorgeous and they fill a noticeable gap in our archive.  We cannot believe that we have that exact color of Buddleia or Butterfly Bush, yet we have never seen any of the Western Tiger Swallowtails, Anise Swallowtails or Giant Swallowtails that frequent our garden nectaring from it.  We did just photograph a Monarch on the butterfly bush, and Gulf Fritillaries, Red Admirals and Painted Ladies all visit is for nectar as do the Skippers.  The Giant Swallowtails like our Lantana, but as we stated in our previous post, the Tiger Swallowtails are present on a daily basis, yet they never alight on any plants.  It is so nice to get a submission from nearby Highland Park.  Perhaps one day we will see you at Cafe de Leche or another of the wonderful businesses on York Boulevard.

Western Tiger Swallowtail

I am so glad they were useful photos!  I am a huge fan of all bugs, but my mother raised me with an extra strong appreciation for butterflies, and we always planted a butterfly garden where ever we lived.  I hope you’ll click on the “bug” label on my blog and see my many posts about spiders, crickets, praying mantids, etc.  — all from local HP!
I’ll be sure to say “HI” if we ever cross paths in the hood.
Best,
Katherine

One Response to Western Tiger Swallowtail

1. dorwageld@aol.com says:

Beautiful photos of a stunning butterfly! And although this is slightly off topic, I too, have that same color buddleia in my yard. It volunteered the year after I planted a Black Knight and a Pink Delight in close proximity to each other. I have always wondered how it came to be, as I’ve never had any other unintended buddleia. It is an absolute MAGNET for butterflies and bees of all kinds, wasps, skippers, flower flies, spiders, clearwing moths, as well as ruby-throated hummingbirds. Have a lovely evening! -Dori Eldridge