Subject: Longhorned borer
Location: Silverton, OR
This one has been bugging me (no pun intended)
I know it’s a longhorn beetle and by the size of the antennae and colors I would say it looks like a Neoclytus caprea or a Typocerus velutinus but the pattern and coloration are quite different. I live in Oregon and caught him by blacklight. Hopefully you can give me a positive id.
Signature: Jesse

Longhorned Borer Beetle:  Strophiona laeta

Hi Jesse,
Your photos are beautiful.  Do you have a straight dorsal view?
We will research this and get back to you.

Thanks, this is a little personal project i’ve been doing.  This snapshot is as close to the view as i have. I turn on a couple backlights by my house every night and see what lands on my window. I live adjacent to an white oak grove if that helps narrow it down at all. I have never scene this type before so i was kind of excited.
-Jesse

Flower Longhorn Beetle:  Strophiona laeta

Hi again Jesse,
Thanks for sending the dorsal view.  This is a gorgeous Longhorned Borer Beetle and we don’t believe it will be too difficult to identify, but it might take some time.  We just returned from a long day at work and we are preparing the posting and tagging it as unidentified while we do the research.  We hope to have an answer for you shortly.

Hi again Jesse,
We believe we have correctly identified your gorgeous Longhorned Borer Beetle as
Stenostrophia tribalteata.  There are several subspecies profiled on BugGuide and the species ranges from California to western Canada.

WTB? contacts Doug Yanega
Hi Doug,
I believe I have correctly identified this beauty as Stenostrophia tribalteata.  The specimen was attracted to a black light in Silverton, northern Oregon at the edge of a white oak grove.  Now I am beginning to doubt the ID I made because no photos show the yellow underbelly and the pubescence that appears on the ventral surface as well as the thoracic region.  Can you confirm or correct and possibly narrow to subspecies?   Also, any thoughts on black lights to attract Cerambycids?
Thanks for any possible information.
Daniel

Ed. Note:  Another possiblity
Moments after reaching out to entomologist Doug Yanega, we believe we might have identified the correct species as
Strophiona tigrina, which appears to be a much better match according to images posted to BugGuide.  The data for the range on bugGuide is also a match.  Again, there is no specific information on BugGuide and the banding pattern is not exactly the same as the individual on the Natural History of Orange County website.  Strophiona laeta, which BugGuide reports from California might be the best match.

Doug Yanega confirms Strophiona laeta.
That’s correct.

Location: Oregon

2 Responses to Flower Longhorn Beetle: Strophiona laeta

1. Ben says:

Could be Lepturobosca chrysocoma?
    I got a photo of a bug like that in the Trinity Alps Wilderness in N California.
    https://flic.kr/p/28wndry

Thanks for your suggestion, but Doug Yanega is an entomologist, more specifically a coleopterist who specializes in North American Beetles, so we defer to his identification of Strophiona laeta.