Subject: Bug to Human Detente
Location: Los Angeles, CA (Venice)
hello experts. so clearly I know who I am, but the idiotic human who scooped me off his floor last night has nary a clue. after eyeballing me for what felt like ever (i have my pride) he placed me carefully in a glass with a bit of dirt, some blades of grass and a small drop of water (moron)… as if I am some common insect!! I tried to communicate with him but his telepathic abilities are far from advanced. I have included a few self-portraits along with his email in hopes that you can tell the misguided man who I am, a bit about me and where I should be released…. thank you in advance, Mystery.
Signature: Mystery, the Matte Black Wonder Bug

Stout’s Hardwood Borer

Dear Mystery, the Matte Black Wonder Bug,
Tell the “idiotic human” you are a Stout’s Hardwood Borer and (s)he may read about you in our archive.  You are only the second representative of your species on our website and the first example of a Stout’s Hardwood Borer was discovered by our staff on Temple Street downtown and brought back to the What’s That Bug? offices to be photographed.  Though the Stout’s Hardwood Borer,
Polycaon stoutii, is well represented on BugGuide, there is not much information except “Named after Dr. A.B. Stout, a friend of John LeConte who provided him with the first specimen.”