Subject: Butterfly in transition?
Location: NW corner of CT.
Took this in the NW corner of Connecticut. At first we thought it was a Red Spotted Purple, but on close look it isn’t. A transiting Black Swallowtail perhaps?
Signature: L. Welles

Spicebush Swallowtail

Dear L. Welles,
This Spicebush Swallowtail,
Papilio troilus, which you may read about on BugGuide, appears to be missing its signature tails, or perhaps they are just hidden in the tall grass.  We are happy you submitted photos showing both the upper wing coloration and markings as well as the lower wing markings and coloration.

Spicebush Swallowtail

Location: Connecticut

2 Responses to Spicebush Swallowtail

1. Michelle says:

hi
    I was just in my yard in northeast ohio and saw something ive never seen before. It appeared to be an all black butterfly. The main abdomen,slightly may have been dark brown. It was flitting from flower to flower but never stopping its wings. Ive seen hummingbirds before and that wasnt it. Ive seen swallowtails with other colors in wings, but this was all black. We have black wasps but the wings on this were giant. It didnt fly like a wasp,hummingbird, or butterflies ive seen where they pause on a flower. This would land but quickly move. Thanks for the site