Subject: pearly abdomen
Location: trinidad and tobago
this guy is just hanging out on the wall in my staircase…what is it?
Signature: danielle

Unknown Wasp

Hi Danielle,
We have been away from the office for three days and email requests have really piled up.  Identifying your wasp might take considerable research and we will have to return to that task.  The photo and creature are amazing looking and we want to post it as unidentified for now.  Hopefully one of our readers, who does not have several hundred emails to answer and make posts of the most interesting of them, can assist with the identification.

Karl identifies Nocturnal Paper Wasp
Hi Daniel and Danielle:
It looks like a Nocturnal Paper Wasp (Vespidae: Polistinae), probably in the genus Apoica.  As far as I can tell there are three species of Apoica in T&T (A. pallens, A. gelida and A. pallida). I am not sure which one this might be but it looks very similar to A. pallens, a species that occurs throughout much of Central and South America, and the Caribbean region.  Regards.  Karl

Thanks Karl,
As always, you are awesome and your contributions are greatly appreciated.

Location: Trinidad and Tobago