Subject: large orb weaver?
Location: grand rapids, michigan
hey daniel,
see attached images. very large spider with bright coloration on abdomen…
construction site in West Michigan.
august.2012
Signature: thomas

Golden Orbweaver

Hi Thomas,
The most definite way to properly identify this Orbweaver is by its scientific binomial,
Argiope aurantia, however that name is too ponderous for many, so common names are often utilized for convenience.  The problem is that there are a variety of common names and some of those names also refer to other species.  Common names for Argiope aurantia include Golden Orbweaver, Yellow Garden Spider, Yellow Garden Orbweaver, Writing Spider, Black & Yellow Argiope, Black & Yellow Orbweaver, and perhaps a host of other names that are highly localized.

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

2 Responses to Golden Orbweaver

1. Heather Buckholtz says:

So this post prompts me to ask a question…
    I think on Crowley’s Ridge in north east Arkansas we must have absolutely mutant Argiope Aurantia. Everything I’ve ever read on them indicates that the adult body size is only about 2 inches, and I see here that this little guy (legs and all) is only 2 inches.
    Here’s my quandry… the average body size around here is about 3 inches in the rural areas closest to the city (unfortunately we have very few within city limits in Jonesboro, AR). But out on the ridge near the rice fields, holy CRAP!!! Their bodies and legs get as big as your face!
    I’ve seen pictures friends have taken over the years of these ‘dinner plate’ spiders, but never seen them myself. I see the 3 inch ones all the time though, and they lay between 2-4 egg sacs each! I wouldn’t have believed they were from the same spider except I saw her in the process of spinning her 3rd the day after she spun #2.
    This fall I will make a concerted effort to document some of these monsters, as I can’t find any technical information that these spiders reach more than 2 inches in body size. Anyone else ever seen these reach gargantuan size?