Subject: Mating bees
Location: mason City, Ia
Had to share a couple pictures of these bees that I almost stepped on in my backyard. Since they were not moving I went in to get my camera and captured the following pictures. Picture 1 is of the 2 bees in the grass(please note that we are going through a drought right now)picture 2 was taken after the 2 flew around the yard and landed on a bush. This is something I had never seen before and was glad to capture it.
Signature: Amber Olsen

Mating Bumble Bees

Hi Amber,
Thanks for sending your wonderful photos of mating Bumble Bees.  We wish we could determine the species.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide that information.

Mating Bumble Bees

Location: Iowa

2 Responses to Mating Bumble Bees

1. KristaMR82 says:

I have found the same bees living next to the garden on the side of my house in Dubuque, IA. I was pulling weeds and disturbed them. I know they burrow because I found where they are coming up from the ground. They don’t seem to be aggressive, but I’ve still decided to respect their space and wait until they settle in for the Winter before I go back to work on the area. However, I still haven’t been able to ID them exactly.