Subject: Pale Cockroach?
Location: Montecito Heights, CA
I am hoping you can help me with this little guy/girl? I found him on my glass door at night so I imagine it was attracted to the light. I thought it was a moth at first but it moves more like a slow spastic cockroach – and rather looks like one.
I kept him in a jar for a couple of days till I finally had the chance to photograph him this morning.
What I observed: Hid under the dirt & debris I had put in the jar for him. Didn’t seem interested in either the tomato or rice I put in but I figured the moisture would still be helpful.
When I set him free on my spinach he just hunkered down so I took more pictures. Tends to play dead rather than flee when disturbed. Wings appear a milky moth grey/brown and are somewhat translucent on top. Never got a good look at his other pair of wings. Approximately 1″ long & 3/8″ wide. Found nothing on the web that looked like him but I am thinking some kind of imported cockroach. In any event, whatever it is – it’s in my spinach plants now.
Thank you for any help on this 🙂
Signature: joAnn

Possibly Sand Roach

August 12, 2012
Last night I found another live specimen of my unknown cockroach. (There have been a couple in the Daddy Long Legs webs this week.)
I am completely baffled by it – and quite enamored with the patterns on it’s wings.
As far as behavior, they seem attracted to light and they tend to flutter/scuttle in an electric shock sort of way. Not sure if this is normal or maybe they are nearing the end of their life span.
In any event, here are the pictures I just took. I am planning on freeing him tonight.
joAnn Ortiz
Rose Hills/Montecito Heights, CA 90032

Possibly Sand Roach

Hi joAnn,
Greetings from the other side of the Historic Arroyo Parkway.  We are your neighbors in Mount Washington, so we share many of the same species.  We believe this is a Sand Roach in the genus
Arenivaga, though the markings on your specimen do not exactly match the images posted to BugGuide.  Sand Roaches are frequently attracted to lights and the behavior you describe is very consistent with Sand Roaches.  We are going to contact Eric Eaton to see if he can confirm or dispute our identification.  Now that we have responded, we want to apologize for not responding to your original submission.  Especially during the summer when identification requests are especially numerous, our small staff is only able answer a fraction of the mail we receive.

Eric Eaton confirms Sand Roach identity
Yep, it is a male.  Females are wingless and rarely surface from under the sand.

One Response to Sand Roach, we believe

1. chastity heilman says:

I live in Arizona and have noticed these every night. I am not a fan of cockroaches and so I have been staying clear of these. How do I get rid of them? I don’t want to harm them plus my porch seems to have become the local insect hangout. I have currently noticed cicadas, praying mantis, walking sticks, lady bugs, damsel flies, and various kinds of moths. Is there a reason as to why all these insects have chosen my porch as their local hangout?