Subject: Grasshopper-like blackish red bug?
Location: Belvidere, New Jersey, US
This bug has been hanging outside with me while I’ve been working on a table. It would have to say it is the size of a small grasshopper, and I have seen it hop a couple times. It has large antennas and then smaller antennas that have round ball-like things at the ends. It is black and somewhat reddish on the head. In the picture I send you can save it and zoom in real close.
Signature: Insect friend

Handsome Trig

Dear Insect friend,
This is a Red Headed Bush Cricket or Handsome Trig,
Phyllopalpus pulchellus.  The second pair of antennae you describe are actually maxillary palps, sensory organs associated with the mouth.  See this Earthlife page on Insect Morphology and Anatomy (The Head) for more information on the palps.  According to BugGuide, Handsome Trigs are:  “Found in vegetation near streams and marshes, about a meter above the ground.”

Location: New Jersey

2 Responses to Handsome Trig

1. mdikdan says:

Is there such thing as an ‘ugly trig’ or a Black trig?

I’ve noticed a few little bugs that look a lot like this one except they’re pitch black crawling around in many places in my city (Maracaibo, Venezuela).