Subject: Frittillary Frustration
Location: Wainwright Alberta
Hello again bugman,
Thank you so much for all the help with identifying my moth and my caterpillar but once again i’ve overreached my meager knowledge with this beautiful fratillary! I know we have several here in the wainwright area but i’m not sure how to positively id this one. I think it might be a Great Spangled Fratillary but they are all so close! ps. i love this site!
Signature: Jessica

Fritillary, but which species???

HI again Jessica,
We also feel woefully inadequate when it comes to differentiating Greater Fritillaries from one another.  We will post your photo and perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide more specific information.  The color in your photo appears to be off, so we are posting it in two versions, your original and our attempt to color correct.  Perhaps you did not white balance for the lighting conditions outdoors and the camera defaulted to tungsten or incandescent light balance.

Fritillary, color corrected

Location: Canada