Subject: These bugs are everywhere!
Location: Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Quebec
Hi there,
I’m a bug friendly person(no bug squishing in this house!)and always take the time to really check out and appreciate any bugs I have come across. Now that I have kids, they are really getting into bugs as well.
I’ve been out in the country for 13 years now and have never come across the bug in picture #1, however, this year they are literally everywhere… On the back deck, on the house, in the house, on shrubs, on the cars and garbage cans, etc…The other day my 8 year old son collected over 20 in under 10 minutes just in a small area around our back door. I went to check on my garden the other day and found a bunch on one of my corn stalks. I thought it might be some kind of stink bug because of the shape, but haven’t found a pic of one that matches. Also of all the ones we have collected and shoo-ed out of the house, none of them stank at all. What are they?
While I’m at it, I’ve attached 2 more bug pics that I would like ID’d. I found bug #2 crawling on a rock and was taken by it’s shiny gold green shell/markings.
Bug #3 is not a bug, but a spider. This fat guy has been living above my backdoor and seems to become active only at night. I thought it was some kind of orb weaver, but couldn’t find a match.
Thanks for any help!
Signature: Cindy

Green Stink Bug Nymphs

Hi Cindy,
Normally we do not like to include “bugs” from different categories in the same posting unless they have a distinctive relationship to one another, like predator and prey, however, all of your inquiries are either interesting, timely or unusual, so we are making an exception.  Additionally, all of your photos are quite nice.  The numerous insects are Stink Bug nymphs, and we have been receiving many identification requests for them in the past week.  Despite their black coloration, these are Green Stink Bug nymphs,
Chinavia hilaris, and you can compare your image to this photo from BugGuide.  Another common name for this species is Green Soldier Bug according to BugGuide which states they are:  “extremely polyphagous: recorded from 20 plant families(5); adults and older nymphs prefer developing seeds and fruit. May be a pest on soybean, cotton, fruit trees (esp. peach), and many vegetables.”

Mottled Tortoise Beetle

The green beetle is a Mottled Tortoise Beetle, Deloyala guttata, and according to BugGuide:  “larvae and adults feed on leaves of Convolvulaceae (morning glory family).”

Marbled Orbweaver

The spider is an Orbweaver, and we believe we have correctly identified it as a Marbled Orbweaver, Araneus marmoreus.  This is a highly variable species, but we located a matching photo of a white individual on BugGuide.  It was also found in Canada.

Thank you for the quick reply! The kids and I have enjoyed reading up on our new buggy friends. I’ll definitely be sending in a few more bug pics that I haven’t been able to ID, sometimes typing a general description into Google gets me hundreds of pages to go through, being stuck on dial-up certainly doesn’t help! Liked you guys on Facebook as well 🙂
Cindy

Location: Canada

One Response to Green Stink Bug Nymphs, Mottled Tortoise Beetle and Marbled Orbweaver from Canada

1. Spiderstar says:

I have a very, very helpful tip… don’t get your fingers that close to a spider unless you know what kind it is:)