Subject: Black-striped yellow fly with long snout.
Location: On border of Ontario/Minnesota (BWCAW)
Hi! I just found your website and it is heaven to a bug lover like me.
I’m hoping that you can ID this fly for me… thanks!
Signature: If new, do I get to name it?

Scaly Bee Fly

Dear If new, do I get to name it?
This is either a Scaly Bee Fly or another member of the genus
Lepidophora.  The process for naming a new species is rather involved and generally includes publishing a technical paper describing the species.  You may read more about the genus on bugGuide which includes this information:  “Larvae are kleptoparasites of solitary wasps (Vespidae, Sphecidae)”.  True Parasites feed off of a host.  Kleptoparasites eat the food supply provided for the host by its parents.

Thank you for your response! I tried looking through your database, but couldn’t seem to get to the right area.

Location: Minnesota

2 Responses to Bee Fly

1. Susan J. Hewitt says:

These days, new species are only named after a lot of very careful research by scientists who are experts in that particular family of beasties. And the chance of your finding something new are in general pretty slight. Unnamed species of reasonable-sized creatures (as opposed to microscopic ones) are not often found, except in very far-flung parts of the world.

However… people who are fortunate enough to come across a population of some beastie that seems to be undescribed, well, if they are able to get the material to an expert who decides that it does indeed need to be named as a new species, then you have to hope that the scientist is kind enough to base the new species name on your name. This is something that is not inevitable, but it does quite often happen.