Subject: Small pink moth
Location: Southern Indiana
Your website is really amazing. This is the first time I’ve had to utilize it personally. I can’t seem to identify this moth. It is very tiny. I was thinking something in the genus Pyrausta (species possibly laticlavia) but I am not certain. What do you think?
Signature: Stumped BugGirl

Coffee-Loving Pyrausta Moth

Dear Stumped BugGirl,
We believe you have nailed the genus
Pyrausta, but we believe we have found a better species match.  The part of the wing that attaches to the body is pink on your moth, and all the examples of Pyrausta laticlavia on BugGuide have a more orange color in that area.  We believe Pyrausta tyralis, the Coffee-Loving Pyrausta Moth, is a closer match based on the images posted to BugGuide which includes numerous photos of moths visiting similar composite flowers during daylight hours.  You can also compare your individual to the photos on the Moth Photographers Group and there are many beautiful images on Steph’s Virtual Butterfly Garden that were taken in Florida.

Thank you for the quick response and for the work you put into this website. It is a great tool!
Sincerely,
Elaina

Location: Indiana