Subject: What bug is this?!
Location: Gunma, Japan
I am an exchange student in Japan and I can’t place this bug that I saw today (8/7/12). I live in Gunma, Japan and it’s the middle of summer at about 100 degrees everyday with 90%+ humidity. I’ll keep searching through the site but I haven’t been able to find anything yet.
Signature: Talia

Exuviae of Cicadas

Hi Talia,
These are the exuviae or shed exoskeletons of Cicadas.  The immature Cicadas live underground for years, and when they have matured and conditions are right, they dig to the surface, molt, leave behind the exuvia, and become winged adults.  Many Cicadas produce audible calls, some quite loud, and the noise of Cicadas buzzing from the trees is a common summer sound in many parts of the world.  It is interesting that there are so many exuviae in one location in your photograph.

Thank you so much! I have seen many cicadas in my life, mostly due to Japan being filled with them, but to see so many insects in one spot made me think them to be something else. Since it was just the exoskeleton left behind, the coloration looked different and seemed like an entirely different insect to me instead of the obvious answer of a cicada. I had heard a loud cicada chirping from that tree and when i saw the exoskeletons i backed away thinking they could be dangerous since i didn’t know what they were. Thank you very much for being so expedient in answering my question.

Location: Japan