Subject: Strange bug
Location: Grand Forks, North Dakota
Hi, I have never taken a photo of a bug before but this one was something I have never seen before. This bug was walking on my car on a cool summer day (August 4, 2012) in Grand Forks, North Dakota. We never have ”strange” bugs here because of the harsh winters (I think) so when I saw this I guess I kind of freaked out.
Signature: Mrs. Reiser

American Pelecinid

Dear Mrs. Reiser,
This is a female American Pelecinid, and your description of it being “strange” is very appropriate since it is the only member of its family found in North America.  The female American Pelecinid uses her long, flexible abdomen to lay eggs underground on or close to the subterranean grubs of June Beetles.  The American Pelecinid is classified as a parasitic Hymenopteran, an insect order that contains wasps and bees, however the American Pelecinid does not sting and is not a threat to humans.

Location: North Dakota

One Response to American Pelecinid

1. Bugophile says:

We saw one of these guys this evening, my husband spotted it and wondered what it was. I’ve seen them before, but never more than one or two in a season. Didn’t see one at all last year. They certainly can cause a commotion when people see them for the first time! Not that my husband is likely to freak over an insect, even if it is rather large, black and intimidating. He just asks me about it.
    Bugophile in Winnipeg