Subject: Bee or Moth?
Location: Lassen Volcanic Park, California
While hiking on Bumpass trail in Lassen Park California, we stumbled on this little critter acting like a hummingbird. It looked like a bee, but a passerby mentioned that it may be a moth.
I’m stumped. Can you help me identify it?
Thanks So Much,
Rob
Signature: Rob Fernandes

Bomber Fly

Hi Rob,
This is neither a bee nor a moth.  We thought it might be a Bee Fly in the family Bombyliidae, but we did not recognize the markings on the abdomen.  We turned to BugGuide where we quickly identified this impressive creature as a Bomber Fly,
Heterostylum robustum, indeed one of the Bee Flies.  BugGuide identifies it as a:  “Large Bee-fly with long proboscis and strong pattern on rear of abdomen.”  This is a new species for our archive.

Thanks so much for you help identifying the Bomber Fly! I’m glad I could help expand your archive as well. Here is one other pic of the fly from a different angle showing better leg detail.
Cheers,
Rob

Bomber Fly

Thanks for sending an additional photo Rob.  The proboscis is also nicely visible in the new photo.