Subject: Is this bug dangerous?
Location: Shrewsbury, MA near the Boylston border
I want to make sure this is not a quarentine bug if I am to let it go. I live near Worcester, MA which has the ALB problem.
Signature: Paul

Red Oak Borer

Hi Paul,
This is a native Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae, the same family as the Asian Longhorned Borer (ALB).  When species are introduced to new locations, they often do not have natural predators and they can become problematic invasive exotic species.  Native species, though they sometimes damage the plants that they are feeding upon, are generally not thought of as threats.  We believe based on BugGuide images that this might be a member of the genus
Goes, perhaps Goes debilis.  According to BugGuide, the members of this genus are:  “Typically twig girdlers or stem borers.”  We are going to try to get a second (and possibly third) opinion on this identification by contacting Eric Eaton and Doug Yanega.

Red Oak Borer

Eric Eaton Makes a Correction:  Red Oak Borer
….
Funny, this *is* the same species as the other:  Red Oak Borer, Enaphalodes rufulus, but female this time.  Pretty certain of the species ID, anyway.

Location: Massachusetts