Subject: Please help me identify this flying insect
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Hi – This little guy is a brilliant green – He was hanging out in my bathroom for about a week. Very happy to stay in one place on the wall for hours, before moving to a new spot. I can’t seem to find out what he is. Can you help me? Thanks!
Signature: – Scott

Green Lacewing

Hi Scott,
This pretty little predator is a beneficial Green Lacewing.  They are sometimes called Golden Eyes.  Both adults and larvae are important predators that feed on small insects, especially Aphids.  We receive some reports that both adults ad larvae will bite, but the bite is not dangerous, merely an annoyance.  The BugGuide family page has some wonderful information.

Location: Pennsylvania

9 Responses to Green Lacewing

1. Lynda Bryant says:

I have one in my kitchen. In Bakersfield, California. How did it get here?

2. Judy says:

This is my second one in the house. So glad to hear they are good. I will try to coax them to fly out the door. Thanks for great picture!

3. Anna says:

This was the first one I ever saw. Do they usually travel as a grouo..

4. Lilith says:

My daughter loves these bugs and she calls them goodie I’m not sure if I should be worried but every month for the last 5 or 6 months she has had 1 in a plastic container with wholes should I be worried?

For your daughter or the Lacewing? We occasionally received submissions regarding bites from Lacewings, but the bite is not considered dangerous. Lacewings are very delicate insects, and careless handling of them might result in a mortal injury.