Subject: Unknown beetle
Location: Avalon Pinensula of Newfoundland
My friend found this over the weekend and was wondering what type of beetle it is. When she found it she said it looked to be borrowing through some wood. I think she is afraid of any damage that it may cause.
Signature: Curious Friend.

Red Shouldered Pine Borer

Dear Curious Friend,
Using BugGuide, we identified this Longhorned Borer Beetle as a Red Shouldered Pine Borer,
Stictoleptura canadensis, and it is one of the Flower Longhorns in the subfamily Lepturinae.   Adults feed on nectar and pollen and the larvae are wood borers.  Your friend does not need to worry about damage to her home.  According to the family page on BugGuide:  “Most species feed within dead, dying or even decaying wood, but some taxa can use living plant tissue.”

Location: Canada

2 Responses to Red Shouldered Pine Borer

1. Jen in Maine says:

I saw one of these flying around inside my father’s house. My instinct was to kill the one I saw, which was about an inch long. I had never seen one before and it appeared to have the ability to sting, and there is someone living in the house who is allergic to bee stings. Can these insects sting, or would they sting? Should I be worried about my father’s house?