Subject: Stinging Catepillar
Location: 70 km north of Fort McMurray, Alberta
I saw this guy in late July in a shrubby area in the boreal forest while working. He was about 2.5-3 inches long with a distinct red stinger. I have no idea what species this is…
Signature: Chebb

Bedstraw Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Chebb,
Your speculation that because this caterpillar has a horn, it is capable of stinging is incorrect.  This is the perfectly harmless caterpillar of the Bedstraw Hawkmoth, a member of the family Sphingidae that has caterpillars commonly called Hornworms.  There are several different color variations to the Bedstraw Hawkmoth Caterpillar including black with spots and green with spots as well as your olive drab example.  The Bedstraw Hawkmoth Caterpillar feeds on the leaves of Bedstraw in the genus
Gallium and Fireweed in the genus Epilobium.  You can read more about the Bedstraw Hawkmoth on the Sphingidae of the Americas website.

Location: Canada

31 Responses to Bedstraw Hawkmoth Caterpillar from Canada

1. Pat Eberz says:

I found on of these caterpillars near Ithaca NY yesterday.

2. Lin Ward says:

we found this caterpillar in Naples, NY today (9/20/13)

3. Maureen says:

This baby was spotted near Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada today (9/28/13)

4. Ellie says:

I have found several of the black catepillars in North Pole, Alaska.

5. Wade says:

I found one at the Wuskwatim generating station.
    Wuskwatim lake, Manitoba Canada
    I work for Manitoba Hydro and I took the caterpillar to the Entomology lab at the University of Manitoba.

6. lorna says:

Boyfriend Found one of theses in Hampden Newfounland the other day ( Canada)

7. Kerri Munro says:

I found one today in Poultney, Vermont.

8. Abigail says:

I found this little guy at my school in New Brunswick Canada.

9. Adam says:

Found one while walking my dog in cambridge ontario

10. nick says:

I found one in port Leyden ny

11. Sarah W says:

Found one in Bangor Maine

12. lliz says:

Kids found one in Topsham VT the other day.

13. B. says:

Found this one in backyard, but with dark magenta colouring on his body. Genetic mutation or cross-breeding between a different species of caterpillar such as the Pandorus Sphinx?

14. James Larocque says:

I just found one in Northfield Vermont

15. Tania says:

Just found one on BC’s West Coast (Bella Coola Valley). We’ve been here many years and have never seen one before.

16. Elaine says:

Found one in Whitecourt, Alberta

17. Linda says:

Found one in Lunenburg Vt

18. Mitch says:

Found one today in gatineau quebec

19. Jessamyn says:

Found one in Randolph Center Vermont

20. Don Hill says:

Pat & Sue Casey found a Bed Straw Hawk Moth on June 4th 2018 in Terrace, BC.

21. Rik D Kaminsky says:

Saw one of these in Stony Plain, Alberta Canada on 2 July 2018. Very cool looking specimen!!

22. Steve says:

Steve and Charlene found one in Tay Creek,New Brunswick,Canada…never saw one before…Bedstraw just arrived in the late 70’s here in central NB…did they arrive at that time or have they been all along

23. Helen says:

Found a beautiful speciman in Cookshire-Eaton this morning

24. Hiedi says:

July 17th 2019
    Just found one in Eagle River Alaska

25. Caitlin McKinley says:

Found two in wasilla, Alaska.

26. Sarah Hauck says:

Found two olive colored ones in Sherwood Park Alberta

27. George says:

Just found one of these beauts in my yard by the propane tank. First time I’ve seen one of these. Hopefully he’ll be okay through the winter. I’m just outside of Renfrew, Ontario in Canada.

28. Hiedi says:

Found another one in Wasilla. Seems when they Cocoon the material they make to do so, seems to be carbon like and quite crystaly & almost metallic. Kind of interesting.