Subject: what is it?
Location: Jersey City, NJ 07306
I FOUND THIS BUG CRAWLING ON THE WALL ON THE SIDE OF MY HOUSE. WHAT IS IT? IS IT HARMFUL? HOW DO I SEARCH TO SEE IF IT HAS FRIENDS? How do protect against it?
Signature: Hector

Ebony Bug

Hi Hector,
Formerly known as a Negro Bug, the more politically correct Ebony Bug has become the more accepted common name for insects in the family Thyreocoridae.  They are also sometimes simply called Black Bugs.  According to BugGuide, they are:  “Shiny black, broad oval, convex shape. Tibiae have no spines or slender ones. Large scutellum covers most of abdomen and wings. Look like beetles but have 5-segmented antennae and 4-segmented beak.”  BugGuide also notes:  “Common on flowers and other vegetation” and they will not harmful to your home.

Correction:  July 24, 2017
Upon posting a new image of what we believe to be an immature Burrowing Bug, we are rethinking this old posting and we now believe, based on this BugGuide image, that this too is an immature Burrowing Bug.  The BugGuide  description is “body usually ovoid, heavily sclerotized, dark, legs often spiny.” 

Location: Jersey City, New Jersey

One Response to Immature Burrowing Bug, we believe

1. Marci says:

A bug that looks a lot like this one flew into my eye in Hawaii and it immediately felt like pepper was in my eye. I flushed it for about 5 minutes but it is very irritated and sore. I don’t know if it bit me or squirted something but I want to know if I should get medical attention or wait to see what happens.