Subject: ALL THE SAME ANT IN THIS SWARM?
Location: Tonasket, WA
They seem to be coming or going under the sidewalk… 3 kinds. Big red w/wings, skinny black w/wings and short fat red w/no wings. They are not flying, it’s about 1 hour from dark and they don’t look like they’re mating or eating. What else is there to do?!?
Signature: Cathy

What’s Happening in this Ant Swarm

Hi Cathy,
The winged members of this swarm are reproductive Alates that will eventually take wing, mate and set up new colonies, however, you photograph brings up more questions than we have answers for.  We imagine that the nuptial flight was soon to begin unless some other reason caused this group of ants to surface, like a flooded colony, though none appear to be carrying eggs, larvae or pupae which is what they would normally do if they had to flee suddenly.  The other thing that is unusual that you have mentioned is the black and red winged individuals in the same swarm.  Perhaps you have an ant species with sexual dimorphism, but we are not aware of a species with such distinct differences between the sexes.  Some ants raid other colonies and make slaves of other species, but the slaves would not be mating individuals and only fertile kings and queens have wings.  We found a nice online article called Social Parasitism in Ants that describes that phenomenon.  Perhaps we will be able to find an answer in the future or perhaps one of our readers will be able to come to our assistance in this matter.

Both Black and Red Alates in one swarm!!!

No, I didn’t!  Pretty sure it is sexual dimorphism in this case, the alate males being black, the new queens red….but there are colonies that get enslaved by other ants that might result in something like this, too.  Try contacting Alex Wild, he would be able to tell you more….  Oh, looks like a colony of “citronella ants,” genus Lasius, and orange-ish rather than red for the worker caste.

Ed. Note:  We did find an image on BugGuide showing the color variation and sexual dimorphism in swarming Citronella or Cornfield Ants in the genus Lasius.

Location: Washington

3 Responses to Unusual Ant Swarm

1. cathyski says:

Thank you Daniel & Eric. One thing I did notice was a real sweet smell about an hour before the swarm appeared. It was like toasting marshmallows! Wonder if it was them? Allen noticed a few of them carrying eggs, but it was not a total evacuation. They were gone in about 1/2 hr. They were only out about 1 hour. Seems they went back under the walk as I saw about 200 of them last night. Thank you again for y’alls wonderful work!

2. Donna Lynn says:

Cathy, I think I had the same thing happen at my house which oddly seems to happen each year on the very same date. I guess our bug friends have a time schedule also. I will try and post my pics. to show you. I also took a video of this as it looks like the grass is moving with some type of winged gnat I guess? With this said, I noticed the orange color ants had come up from the ground and then noticed the winged gnat was interacting with this one nest I saw.. I say gnat as they looked like them but not sure if I am correct. In one pic. I was amazed to see these ants where everywhere coming up from the ground. I wasn’t outside I wasn’t going to either. So this was Sept 1 2012..What I have noticed is the weather, humid and the grass is cool without sunshine. It also is right under my windows along the walk-path. The only other thing about the location is our septic runs under this area. I am north of Peterborough Ont. if this helps with any info on this. Just amazing really.