Subject: Spider Wasp
Location: Quakertown, PA, USA
Don’t know if you need other examples… I saw your post on Spider wasps and this image is similar, but different colors.
Signature: Jon Kern

Spider Wasp with Prey

Hi Jon,
Thanks for sending us your photo of a Spider Wasp with her prey.  It should be noted that the Spider Wasp does not eat the Spider, which appears to be a Wolf Spider, but rather she uses it to provision a nest for her brood.  We believe your Spider Wasp might be
Tachypompilus ferrugineus based on BugGuide photos. 

Location: Pennsylvania

2 Responses to Spider Wasp with Prey

1. Mr Dr says:

Im in Oklahoma and saw this EXACT same two insects today. When I was trying to get a close examination, the wasp stopped dragging the spider, charged at me without flying, fluttered it’s wings as if to say “im gonna get you next!” With that, I waited for it to start dragging the spider then wacked it with my water bottle. Id much rather have wolf spiders that will run from me than wasps that will charge me!

2. David Rose says:

I was surprised to see a wasp carrying a large spider in my front yard. The wasp was methodical , it layed the spider down and dI’d a reconnaissance flight to see how far it was from its lair, and came back pick up its prey and drag it to the intended site.