Subject: Nearly A Puppy Snack
Location: North Dakota
When I took my puppy out to go to the bathroom, I noticed him try to eat something. When I asked him to drop the object, this is what I saw! Fortunately, the bug sustained no harm and while I doubt he is poisonous, I am extremely curious about this little fellow! I have never seen anything like him before.
I tried to do some peeking online but I can’t even find anything that looks remotely close to this curious little critter.
So. What is that bug?!
Signature: Melissa D.

Sculptured Pine Borer

Hi Melissa,
This is a Metallic Borer Beetle in the family Buprestidae, but we haven’t had any luck with a species identification on BugGuide.  We will contact Eric Eaton for assistance.

Eric Eaton Responds:  Sculptured Pine Borer
The buprestid is one of the “sculptured pine borers” in the genus Chalcophora.  Might be C. liberta, the Northeastern Sculptured Pine Borer:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/27615
but there is at least one other potential species, C. fortis, that could be in the Dakotas.
I’ll check out the moth event later.  Thanks for sharing the link!

Location: North Dakota