Subject: name this caterpillar please
Location: south east (North Carolina)
Hi. My son and I. Found this fat little guy in our driveway in central NC. He is light green with black/brown eye looking spots. When he straightens out and starts crawling, a head comes out (like a turtle).
Signature: darla and daniel

Tersa Sphinx Caterpillar

Dear Darla and Daniel,
This is the caterpillar of the Tersa Sphinx, one of the moths in the family Sphingidae.  They are frequently found feeding on Penta in the garden.  Since the caterpillar was found on the driveway, we suspect it is getting ready to pupate and it was searching for a suitable location with plenty of surface debris.  You can see photos of other stages of development of the Tersa Sphinx on the Sphingidae of the United States website.

Location: North Carolina

5 Responses to Tersa Sphinx Caterpillar

1. Barbara says:

Thank you for your information, I found one in my back yard yesterday, and had to find out what it was we live in Leesburg Fl. and it is a brownish gray color. it was on a Penta

2. Stephanie Chaffee says:

I live in Melbourne, FL; and I found one in my butterfly garden last night. It was a greenish brownish grayish color with eyespots and a spine. It was on my pink guaro which is surrounded by red and white pentas. I didn’t see it there this morning; but now that I know it prefers pentas I will check them more carefully.

3. Sandi says:

Several on my thinning penta in Clermont, Florida. What does the moth look like?

4. Shanon& Ronnie says:

My husband and i found a caterpillar in our driveway this in my drive way the name of the caterpillar is tersa sphinx we wanted to know more information like what kind of mop and what does the mouth look like and what do they eat