Subject: Oleander Hawkmoth
Location: Downtown Honolulu
We just found this beautiful moth in our building located in downtown Honolulu. Apparently he/she has been hanging around for the past 5 days so I’m taking him/her to a forest reserve. I hope they are not harmful to our environment. Are they common in Hawaii because nobody has ever seen one.
Signature: Edwin and Roselani

Oleander Hawkmoth

Dear Edwin and Roselani,
The Oleander Hawkmoth is an introduced species in Hawaii, but since the caterpillar feeds on the leaves of Oleander, another introduced species in Hawaii, we would not consider it to be harmful to the environment.

Mahalo (thank you) for responding.  We took the moth up next to a forest reserve and set him free.  I’m sure he’ll find some oleander around because it’s used pretty extensively around here.
He was the star guest at our company on Friday and everyone was amazed at how beautiful he was.
Aloha!
Roselani and Edwin

Location: Hawaii

3 Responses to Oleander Hawkmoth in Hawaii

1. priscila says:

I just saw one of the same moth on 3/24/14 on our garage wall. I was fscinated by how beautiful it look. That was first encounter of such a moth.

2. Chris Enos says:

I woke up this morning to find one of my Oleanders with all the leaves chewed off. When inspecting the other bush I found a beautiful green caterpillar almost 3″ long on it with bright blue eyes and a little yellow horn on its rear. It clung to the plant for dear life and I had to pry it off. This looked exactly like the pictures of the Oleander hawk moth caterpillar.

3. Carolyn says:

Just encountered one of these delightful moths this evening when coming home. Beautiful creature. Just sitting on my lanai under the light. Hope a big toad doesn’t come along and fancy it for a snack.