Subject: Curious About this Moth
Location: Coram, New York
I saw this moth outside of my home when I was leaving for work in the AM one day and it just hung around all day until I returned. I got curious because I never seen this kind of moth before with such beautiful design and color. Can you tell me a little about this little guy? Thank You!
Signature: Storm Morales

Skiff Moth

Dear Storm,
While we don’t recognize this moth, we agree that it is quite lovely, and with National Moth Week fast approaching, we are trying to post as many interesting moth photos as possible.  Alas, we are beginning to get computer fatigue, so we are posting your photo as unidentified in the hopes that one of our readers can assist with the identification.  Karl, are you there????

Update:  Thanks to CTGirl who sent in a comment, we can report that this is a Skiff Moth, one of the Slug Caterpillar Moths which we verified on BugGuide.

Location: New York

2 Responses to Skiff Moth

1. CTGirl says:

Maybe a Skiff Moth? Prolimacodes badia

Dear CTGirl,
      Thanks for the assistance. We have seen and identified the Caterpillars numerous times, but we did not recognize the moth.