Subject: Pretty katydid-really good pic.
Location: Seymour, Tennessee (just south of Knoxville)
Hey bugman, this pretty katydid, which I know is female because of the ovipositor, landed on top of a dresser of my brothers that was sitting outside our garage (we were helping him and his wife move), and I moved her to some colorful leaves behind our house and took this picture. I would love to know which of the several species that look similar it is. I have tried to upload it to bugguide but I have cropped it as much as I can without cutting of part of the katydid and it is still apparently too big of a file. Anyway I hope you enjoy the photo and can possibly help with a species ID. thanks in advance!
Signature: Michael

Katydid

Hi Michael,
Rather than to give you the wrong species, we are just going to post your photograph and then write to Katydid expert Piotr Naskrecki.  We can compliment you on the quality of your photograph.  BugGuide needs images to conform to web restrictions because readers post the photos.  Here at What’s That Bug?, our highly skilled art department is very PhotoShop savvy and we have no problem conforming images as well as color correcting, density correcting and sharpening the images, then cropping them to the proper ratio.  Check back on the site to see if we got a proper identification.  Your photo is quite stunning, though we don’t believe this Katydid would perch on that coleus leaf, though in our garden, the Skudder’s Bush Katydids love to eat red roses.

Thank you so much for posting my photo. About the leaf she was on, I moved her there to get a better background for the photo.

Location: Tennessee