Subject: Butterfly
Location: Ann Arbor,Mi
So Bugman can u help me on this one is it the red spotted purple or the dianafritillary? not sure cant locate it in the book i own. she landed next to my pool that day it was a 104 degrees she was thirsty im sure thank u bugwhisperer
Signature: Bugwhisperer

Red Spotted Purple

Dear Bugwhisperer,
We need to start our response with a confession.  With so many unopened emails, from our holiday, from the Independence Day holiday and just things that we don’t have time to answer, we need to find some way to prioritize the mountain of mail we have.  A catchy subject line always gets our attention just like butterflies and large moths are the eye candy of the insect world.  If the word “Butterfly” is in the subject line, we open it.  We have already gone on record that the editorial staff of What’s That Bug? believes that the Red Spotted Purple is the most beautiful North American butterfly.  Your photo is lovely.  The female Diana Fritillary is a more subtle version of the Red Spotted Purple in her coloration.
Gardening Tip to attract butterflies:  Devote a small plot on your land to cultivating native plants that have nectar producing flowers or leaves that will supply local caterpillars with food.  Read about our Mt Washington Butterfly Garden.

Location: Michigan