Subject: Found on our tent! (Cicada with out wings?)
Location: Gifford Pinchot National Forest 15 miles NE from Carson WA
We found this big guy (or gal) under the rain cover of our tent in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Any idea what it is?! It was about 4 inches long (not including the antennae)!
Signature: g. hoyt

Great Grig

Dear g. hoyt,
We always love posting photos of the Great Grig
, Cyphoderris monstrosa, because we love the name so much.  These Hump Winged Crickets are found in the Pacific Northwest.  We just learned on BugGuide that the Great Grig has another common name that might be even more interesting, the Monster Haglid.  We would love to trace the etymology on that nameFemales are wingless, so we can deduce that you have submitted a photo of a female.  BugGuide describes the habitat as:  “coniferous forests containing Lodgepole Pine, Englemann Spruce, and Mountain Hemlock; adults hide beneath leaf litter during the day, and become active at night, climbing tree trunks and continuing high into the branches to feed, sing (males), and mate.”

Thank you so much!! For two reasons – 1) Identifying the cool lady on top of our tent and 2) proving my husband wrong. (I said it was some kind of cricket and he said “nuh uh”)
WTB Rocks!!

Location: Washington