Subject: Black bug with yellow markings…
Location: San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Hello Bugman,
last one for today 😉 I’ve been looking for ages for that bug, & can’t find it anywhere… It looks like a beetle… It’s another rescue from my pool.
Signature: PunkRockGirl

Subject: how to do a search?
Dear Bugman!
I have been “bugging” you 😉 with lots of “what’s that bug?” message lately & I thought maybe it would help me if I could get some pointers from you on the BEST way to perform a search on your site? Right now for exemple I am looking for a black beetle with yellow dots on the back & yellow stripes on the head… if I write that in the Search box, I get a lot of things unrelated so I am probably doing it wrong… Can you help?
Thanks!!
PRG
Signature: Guylaine Madden

Shield Bug

Dear PunkRockGirl,
This is not a beetle.  It is a True Bug, but we are not even certain of the family.  We would guess a Shield Bug in the family Scutelleridae.  We will post this image and hopefully one of our readers will be able to assist in the identification.
The best way to use our search engine is to type in a few key words.  This doesn’t work as well on our site with insects not from North America because they are not as well represented.  Knowing the order really helps.  We know you spent a great deal of time trying to identify this True Bug because you incorrectly believed it to be a beetle.

Karl provides an indetification
It is a Shield Bug (Scutelleridae), probably in the genus Chelysomidea.  Photos and information are hard to find, but it looks very similar to C. scurrilus. Older names include Pachycoris scurrilis and Orsilochus scurrilus (scurrilis and scurrilus appear interchangeably, regardless of genus, but I believe the correct spelling is with a ‘u’). Regards.  Karl

Location: Nicaragua

One Response to Shield Bug from Nicaragua

1. That’s great!! Thank you Karl!