Subject: Drasteria moth?
Location: Solano County, CA
flew into my living room. Drasteria seemed the closest, but I couldn’t find any with that bright orange color.
Signature: me

Underwing Moth

This beautiful moth is one of the Underwing Moths in the genus Catocala, and according to the map on Bill Oehlke’s website, at least 7 different species have been documented from Solano County.  We do not have the necessary skills to take this identification to the species level.  Underwing Moths get their name from the brightly colored underwings that are only revealed when the moth is in flight.  When the moth is resting, it is easily camouflaged against bark or other surfaces which allows it to escape predation because the hunter is expecting to find something with brighter coloration after pursuing the flying moth.  If you are interested in learning more about local moths, you might want to see if there is a National Moth Week event near you.