Subject: Metallic Green fly with Silver pincers
Location: San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Hello Bugman!
I rescued this fly from my pool yesterday & have been trying to find out what it is… As you can see it’s very shiny green & where the ”mouth” is, it has pretty big silver pincers.
Can you help? 😉
Signature: PunkRockGirl

Orchid Bee

Hi PunkRockGirl,
We are going to also address a separate email you sent regarding using our search engine.  Type in a few key words.  We tried that with this request.  Knowing the insect order really helps, but when we first saw a photo of this creature in flight, we were uncertain if it was a bee or a fly.  We typed in “Metallic Green Fly” into our What’s That Bug? search engine and one of the choices was this Orchid Bee posting from 2004 when we first reported on this Central American species being sighted in Florida.  They are now firmly established in Florida.  The Orchid Bee is a beautiful creature and we now have many postings in our archive.  You can compare the face to this image from BugGuide and BugGuide also has other information.

Location: Nicaragua