Subject: Red-headed tiger moth (?)
Location: Tsuchiura City, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan (about 60 km northwest of Tokyo)
Hello Bugman!
This moth came up to say good morning the other day. He landed on me as bold as can be and then flew off. He did stay put long enough for me to get a picture, though.
I always try to find a bug before I post to you, and usually I’m not successful. But this time I think I’ve got it! I guess this beautiful moth is some kind of tiger moth. From his wing shape and red head, I think he must be a ctenucha moth or a clymene moth. I think the ctenucha is most likely, but I couldn’t find any pictures on-line with the same markings as this one has. Can you confirm?
Thank you so much!
Signature: Melissa in Japan

Subject: red-headed moth submission classification
Hi Bugman!
I just uploaded a picture of a black-winged moth with a white stripe on its wings and a red head for an identification. A Facebook friend just identified it as ”zygaenidae chalcosiinae pidorus glaucopis‘.
Don’t know the common name, though.
Melissa in Japan
Signature: Melissa Noguchi

Subject: red-headed moth (last one I promise!)
Hi again,
We can’t find the common name in English for the moth I submitted, but apparently it’s called a ホタルが (hotaru-ga) in Japanese. A direct translation of the name would be the Firefly Moth.
Melissa (still in Japan)
Signature: Melissa Noguchi

Leaf Skeletonizer Moth: Hotaruga

Hi Melissa,
Thanks for all your emails regarding this lovely moth.  We learned on BugGuide that the family Zygaenidae is commonly called the Leaf Skeletonizer Moths.

Location: Japan

3 Responses to Leaf Skeletonizer Moth from Japan

1. Melissa says:

Thanks so much, Daniel. I have to say that I like the Japanese name better! On the other hand, you may have solved the riddle of who’s been eating my almond tree leaves!

Melissa

2. Nelson says:

Hi there this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding knowledge so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!