Subject: Weird Beetle hundreds of them on the Tree
Location: Ottawa, On, Canada
I cant figure out what this beetle is? Its destroying my tree.. It also seems to mate on the tree leaves.. Legs don’t have a sticky grip to the leaves and falls off when branch shaken and fly briefly to another branch.
Signature: Richard

Japanese Beetle

Hi Richard,
Based on your letter, we can think of three possible scenarios.  Either you are new to gardening, new to Ottawa, or the Japanese Beetle has previously been absent in your area for some reason.  Most gardeners in the northeast and midwest portions of North America (see BugGuide map) are very familiar with Japanese Beetles that appear each year in late June or early July and defoliate hundreds of different cultivated plants for the next six weeks or so.  We don’t normally provide extermination advice, but we can assuredly tell you that the non-native, invasive, exotic Japanese Beetle is the scourge of many gardeners and we don’t have any problem with folks trying to control them, provided they do not use broad spectrum pesticides that kill beneficial insects as well.  We support manual removal, however, earlier in the year, one of our readers supplied this wonderful natural means to control Japanese Beetles.   Since we do not encounter Japanese Beetles in our Los Angeles offices and garden, we cannot vouch for this technique.  Anyone who has had luck with this holistic remedy, please let us know.

Location: Canada