Subject: FLATHEADED HARDWOOD BORER (NH)
Location: New Hampton, NH
Found this guy in New Hampshire yesterday. Was unsure what it was until I just saw the other post from Maine. Amazing colors, especially the copper legs and antennae. My 9yo daughter and I have come across many insects but this is the first time we have seen this type of beetle. (he’s playing possum in the second picture) By the way we love your site, keep up the great work.
Signature: Ken & Emma

Flatheaded Hardwood Borer

Hi Ken,
We agree that this is a Flatheaded Hardwood Borer,
Dicerca divaricata.  Your photos make it evident why this family of beetles are known as the Metallic Borer Beetles or Jewel Beetles.  Thanks for the compliment.

Location: New Hampshire

One Response to Flatheaded Hardwood Borer

1. Patricia says:

I was sitting on the front deck as I’m in Northeast Pennsylvania near Milford, and this bug landed on my Walker and at first I thought it was a lightning bug, and then it fell on the deck flooring… it was very quiet and I thought maybe it had expired or something, because he was so afraid(?) I picked him up very gently and put him in a plant that I had growing on the table so he could recover a little more quickly being near leaves. Or at least that’s what I thought. And on the deck and he didn’t move at all. I really thought he had died. But when the sunlight hit the wings it was like a beautiful copper color, and I saw the protruding bug eyes, and I thought what in the world is this thing? I’ve been here nearly 4 years and I’ve never seen this before. I even Just has a crazy thought I had discovered a new species..ha! Ha!
    So I took a picture and found out what you said, it’s a flatheaded beetle. After about 15 minutes I looked around into the plant and he was gone, He was very patient to let me take his picture because he’s a very beautiful beetle. I’m so glad I found your site to find out what the heck I was looking at. His wings and body are so intricate in design, and those bug eyes… and the beautiful color made him an exceptionally pretty bug.
    Thanks for your research on this. I couldn’t wait to find out exactly what I was seeing.
    God bless. Patricia Owens – Pa.