Subject: Chinese white spotted black bug
Location: China – about 2 hours from Beijing
Can you assist?
It sort of looks like a weevil?
With thanks,
Signature: David

White Cicada Nymph from China

Hi David,
Though it is a Fulgorid Planthopper and not a true Cicada, this nymph is known as a White Cicada.

Location: China

11 Responses to White Cicada Nymph from China

1. Angie P Cernobyl says:

My daughter has these little tiny black bugs with white spots on the outside of her apartment. When you try to smack or smooch them the jump very far. She’s afraid their gonna get into the apartment and harm her newborn baby. I would like answers please…. Thank you

According to Featured Creatures: “Originating from northern China, the spotted lanternfly, Lycorma delicatula (White), is a serious pest due to their high reproductive capacity and large host range.” The site also states: “The spotted lanternfly has piercing-sucking mouthparts that are adapted to feeding from plant stems” and “Adults use cytotoxins as chemical defenses to deter predators (Barringer and Smyers. 2016). These are acquired through feeding from host plants, mainly the tree of heaven, Ailanthus altissima (Barringer and Smyers 2016).” To the best of our knowledge, they will not harm your daughter’s newborn, however, Featured Creatures notes “Lycorma delicatula is found on over 70 known host plants, with 25 identified in Pennsylvania, ranging from apples, grapes, birch, cherry, lilac, maple, poplar, stone fruits, and the tree of heaven (Barringer et al. 2016, Dara et al. 2015). Lycorma delicatula primarily feeds on Ailanthus altissima, greatly preferring it over many other species, and is likely to establish itself where Ailanthus altissima is present (Anderson et al. 2016). Lycorma delicatula and the tree of heaven are both equally invasive species originating from the same native regions of China and other parts of Asia. Using their haustellate (sucking) mouthparts, typical of the order Hemiptera, they feed on the sap in the phloem (Ding et al. 2006). Their host range includes economically important plants, particularly Vitis vinifera (common grape vine), which makes them an unsuitable biological control agent for the tree of heaven (Ding et al. 2006).”

• James T. says:

Are you saying that this white cicada nymph is a spotted lantern fly? It is not nearly as big, have the wing-span, or the red wing color as the spotted lantern fly we know is invading the North East right now. Can you elaborate more? Thank you.

Correct. White Cicada and Spotted Lanternfly are both common names for the same insect species.

• James T. says:

Can you tell me if the white cicada is as damaging as the spotted lantern fly. I have white cicadas in my southern magnolia trees right now. What should I do?

2. Brent says:

Found a bunch of these in my garden on my squash plants primarily. They were all dead though. I live in Blue Bell.

3. Barb says:

I am seeing these on my cucumber plants..4 in one spot. Any suggestions to control organically?

4. Frances Duffy says:

I just found these bugs on my rose bush. They were all over its stems.

5. lorena robey says:

I also have them in my garden. they seem to like my blackberries, grapes, pole beans and sunflowers.I,m an organic gardener…how can I exterminate them naturally? they are taking over.

6. Denise Taylor says:

I just noticed this insect resting comfortably on my perennial Hibiscus bush, which is now budding and getting ready to bloom. I live in Souderton, PA. Not sure what to do as they do not appear to be disturbing the bush yet?