Subject: Beetle ID
Location: Costa Rica – Monteverde region
For hours I’ve now been trying to get an ID on this nice beetle but I still am standing nowhere. My best guess is that it’s a member of the Chrysomelidae, but even of that I’m not sure. I saw it in Costa Rica (Monteverde Region) in November. It was around 2cm large, although I’m very bad at guessing sizes. Maybe you can help me? I would already be very happy with an ID on family level. Thanks!
Signature: Sincerely, Stefanie

Shield Bug

Hi Stefanie,
This is not a Beetle.  It is a Shield Bug in the family Scutelleridae.  We are not having much luck finding an exact match, but it closely resembles the Spotted Shield Bug,
Pachycoris torridus, which is pictured on Project Noah.  We cannot say for certain if it is the same species since there is often much variation in the number and size of markings within a species.

Thank you so much for your fast reply. I found some more pictures of the species it resembles that look even more similar
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/theactionitems/6912741301/in/set-72157629089500575/ ).
I’m very happy with the info!
Cheers,
Stefanie

Location: Costa Rica