Subject: bug ID
Location: Herndon, Fairfax County, Virginia
I saw this moth-like bug on the trellis of my mandevilla vine. I thought it had very unusual markings. Can you ID. In the meantime, I’ve named it ”Crusader Moth”.
Signature: shutter bug

Clymene Moth

Dear shutter bug,
As much as we love the name you have coined, Crusader Moth, the true common name for
Haploa clymene is the Clymene Moth.  Your name is a nice reference to the graphic markings on the wings and their similarity to the heraldic symbols used by crusaders.

Location: Virginia

4 Responses to Clymene Moth

1. Peter says:

I saw a Clymeme moth in my office building on July 15, 2013, in Sterling, VA, right next door to Herndon. The wing design uncannily mimics the “fleur de lis” French heraldry symbol.

2. Kim says:

My husband passed away one week ago today after a seven month battle with cancer. I left home to take cupcakes to the nursing staff at the chemo center. When I returned this moth was on my front door! I have an out of focus picture of it if you would like to have it – had never even heard of one, let alone ever seen one. My hands were shaking so badly that I was afraid it would fly off before I could take the picture. What an amazing sign. I now know that he is ok, at peace and without pain…..

3. Chris Emery says:

First sighting ever in Ashburn VA today. I, too, immediately thought of the Fluer de Lis sign.
    IMG_9173.JPG

4. mike says:

Found one today in southern, NH… Never saw one before.