Subject: Flying Beetle
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
June 30, 2012 2:07 am
Have seen about Three of these in Las Vegas, NV in the 12 years I have lived here. I know this one fly’s, as he landed on my neck!
Signature: R. Klaus

Palo Verde Root Borer

Dear R. Klaus,
Summer is the season for large Prionid Borer Beetles and we get reports of various species from different locations across North America.  Your individual is a Palo Verde Root Borer and it is the second example we are posting today.

Thank you! I put him on a tree, hope he’s doing well…

Location: Nevada

6 Responses to Palo Verde Root Borer

1. Alpha Nash says:

I found 2 Palo Verde Root Borers, living in my garage, here in Las Vegas, NV (near Valley View and Alta). Not really sure what they are eating, but I found a different one, and killed it out of instinct, thinking it was a cockroach (I felt bad when I realized it was NOT one.)

What do I do with them? One of them was in the garage, and I sort of swept it out last night; clearly, it snuck back in to live with its friend. I really don’t want them…..

2. Miki Sheets says:

I just came home and “Palo Verde Root Borer” was waiting at the door. I thought it was “Stag beetle”, very familiar in Japan, but has sinner horn. I called boys, 43, 16, 13, 11 to show them but they were all Chikened. So I put him on the ash tree. Livibg here for 17 years but 1st time seeing it in Las Vegas. I wish I could keep it..hahaha

3. Lee Lussier-Tussing says:

these things come out of my yard… out of the ground.. they leave a hole about an inch wide.. they do fly… not very well. They do not live long, i always see dead ones around.. this is part of the summer i dont like..

4. Patti says:

We live in Yucca Valley, CA…north of Palm Springs (high desert). I just found one in a planter and freaked…it’s too big to be real! We just had pine trees removed, so maybe it came from those? Do they bite? Any way to use a pest control to NOT have these in our yard? also have seen some large wood roaches in garage and house…that was bad enough.

We do not provide extermination advice. You should speak to the exterminator, though in our opinion, it is a waste of money. They larvae live underground for several years and there is no way to predict exactly where they are, so we cannot imaging an exterminator being able to prevent them from appearing. Large Prionids may bite if carelessly handled, but they will not fly up to you and attack.