Subject: grasshopper
Location: Jordan Valley, Jordan
I took this picture in Jordan Valley, Jordan, I think it is a grasshopper nymph, it’s around 4” (10cm) long, what is strange about it in addition of its size (for a nymph) is that it’s front and middle legs have the same thickness as its hind legs, and it’s forward body section is larger than aft body section, even though I have seen and examined many types of grasshoppers in my life, I have never seen one like this before.
Signature: Sultan Murad

Predatory Katydid

Dear Sultan,
Though it looks like a Grasshopper and it is classified in the same order as Grasshoppers, this insect is actually a Longhorned Orthopteran in the suborder Ensifera.  Grasshoppers have shorter antennae.  We do not recognize the species, but we will contact Piotr Naskrecki from Harvard, an expert on Katydids, to see if he can provide a species identification for us.

Predatory Katydid

Thanks to a comment from Ben in Israel, we now know that this is a Predatory Katydid, Saga ornata, and FlickRiver has a nice photo.

Correction courtesy of Piotr Naskrecki
An impressive creature indeed. This is a male of Saga ephippigera, which I believe is considered to be one of the largest, if not the largest, Palearctic insects. These katydids are sit-and-wait predators, similar in their hunting technique to preying mantids.
Cheers,
Piotr

Location: Jordan

2 Responses to Predatory Katydid from Jordan: Saga ephippigera

1. Ben says:

Hi Sultan,
    This is quite a rare find, I haven’t seen one in years! It’s scientific name is Saga ornata and is also found (rarely) in Israel.
    Great pictures!
    Ben from Israel